Monday, April 13, 2009

PS3 broke

Well I never thought it would happen this soon. Granted I have used my PS3 quite alot and have owned it since launch, but today it broke. It started with just showing the background screen without any of the menus (seems like a HD problem). I did the hard reset by holding the power button down on restart and waiting for the second beep and then letting go. This should have set it back to the normal AV outputs (as I had it hooked up via HDMI), but now the screen was black.

Tried many combinations of cables, inputs, restarts, but it seems the HD died. Next step is that I will try to put in another HD and see if I can get it to format. (So this ends up being an opportunity to upgrade the drive from the original 80G to a larger laptop hard drive). I really did not want to lose all of my saves though (including the current game I was playing, Suikoden Tactics which is actually a PS2 game played on my PS3).
Will update this post as I go through the self-repair options with sending it in to Sony at $150 as my last resort.
GiftedGamer

No comments:

Post a Comment